Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Ready for Friday to roll around...



I started mentally preparing myself for the possibility of a lost season about two years ago when Bill Simmons (always a ray of sunshine) mentioned it in one of his columns. As the negotiations droned on I tried to stay emotionally numb. That way there was no where to go but up.

When it finally ended I was obviously going out of my mind. But even amidst my elation I couldn't help but be a little annoyed about how lengthy the wait would be before any actual transactions could be made. Thinking back to the NFL lockout ending it felt like they got right into the thick of things right off the bat.

I knew this period would be full of rumors but I didn't expect anything to this extent. There have been leaks from organizations, a few legitimate trade ideas that could happen, and even some rumors that got started just by a reporter randomly suggesting a trade idea.

Obviously as a Celtics fan these past few weeks have been weird to say the least. Just extremely melodramatic. We're all torn between our loyalty to Rondo and the potential to increase the likelihood of raising another banner with Chris Paul.

Danny Ainge is an incredible executive. He has the guts to pull the trigger on big moves. We all know what happened the last time he made a big deal. But since these rumors have been around a while now, and there has been no opportunity for them to be affectively squashed, it's got me thinking about what it means to be a Celtic, and to be a Celtics fan. The idea of rooting for laundry has popped into my head more than once. Now this isn't a case of just bringing in a big name like when they signed Dominique Wilkins. Swapping Rondo for Chris Paul straight up COULD lead to a championship. But Rondo is my guy. He's our guy. He made the leap into legendary status with the way he performed after D-Wade tried to perform an on-court amputation of his arm.

This is why I could never be an executive. I'm too fiercely loyal. That's the same reason I never have any fantasy teams. I'm uncomfortable saying I'd rather lose in the Conference Finals with Rondo than watch CP3 bring us another banner. But sometimes that's exactly how I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment