Friday, June 10, 2011

Jeff Green knows he wasn't aggressive enough



In a radio interview on thursday Jeff Green acknowledged that he was a little bit star struck and didn't want to step on any toes when he was traded to the Celtics.

"I should have been more aggressive when I look back on it now," Green told ESPN 980 in Washington, DC. "That's what they brought me in for."

We've heard it a thousand times now. After Marquis went down (and long after TA set sail) the C's needed help at the wing. Danny was banking on Shaq being healthy and we know how that turned out.

The Celtics needed Jeff to be a force off the bench. Someone who could be a stopper on defense and be an agressive scorer on the offensive end. But it never really panned out that way. He had flashes of brilliance but could never really put it all together consistently.

"Being a young guy in this league," said Green, who averaged 9.8 points off the bench for the Celtics, "it's tough coming in where you got Kevin [Garnett] on one side, Paul [Pierce], Ray [Allen], [Rajon] Rondo now who's been with that team for a long time. It was tough for me to come in and be 'the man,' coming off the bench, it was tough. In my mind, I'm thinking, 'Those guys preach, sharing the ball, sharing the ball.' It was kind of, 'You gotta be aggressive . . .' but I didn't want to step on anybody's toes. Now I look back at it now, I should have taken it for a grain of salt and take my slice of the pie. I don't think I did that when I came into that situation."

Doc and Danny have both said that they need to find more minutes for Jeff. And he did prove that he can be very helpful when he gets 30 plus minutes of action. I don't think this means he has to start in front of Paul (I don't think that was anymore more than a ploy to motivate Paul this summer) but I would love to see him get the majority of his time at the 3. He needs to be more aggressive, face towards the basket and attack. If he can be as good as he's capable that would be huge for Paul and even for Ray in some ways, perhaps giving Doc an opportunity to rest both at the same time, something he has never really been able to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment